Well, how many smart shopping tips do you have and can reel off when there are a cameraman, a researcher and a director in front of you? Not to mention the curious shoppers who are no doubt wondering what has taken over their favourite supermarket.
This was us as we filmed the second episode in the second series of the show we are on. We were on set just as the supermarket opened too, so those who came in early, hoping to beat the crowd, stumbled into us instead.
So here’s our take on what went down with this shopping and filming today. I will put them in a bulleted list, which hopefully makes for better reading.
- We did find a few yellow sticker end items. Fresh ginger was a particularly good deal, as it can last for quite a long time without going off.
- More reduced priced items were put out after we had done our shopping though, so that was a bit disappointing.
- Prices of certain fruits and vegetables had certainly taken a big hike in price to reflect the lovely summer we had ( the plants didn’t have enough water)
- Supermarket own brand products won today, in our estimation. Things like canned kidney beans and vegetable stock cubes were cheaper than branded products.
- We were pleased to find that Quorn products were on a special offer which meant that we could select and suggest Quorn mince for a chili dish to reduce the fat content and the cholesterol.
- Loose products like onions and garlic were actually much cheaper than the ones prepared and bagged for you.
- We needed chicken breast pieces for two of the dishes we suggested for the family. We found it’s cheaper to get the whole chicken breasts than to get the ones already prepared into strips. There is an extra cost for preparing it.
- We really need to check out this gadget (we still don’t know the name for it yet) that we saw two customers using. Apparently, they got it from the customer service desk and were able to use it to ‘zap’ the barcode of the products in order to keep a tab on their spend as they wandered through the aisles.
With a large supermarket like the one we were in today, it’s much better to get a lot of products from there. It will save you the extra trips, petrol, and also time.
On a side note, filming has gone much quicker than usual and there is less waiting around, which we are happy about. There’s just so much you can do with doing surveys for cash. Although I did get to cash out some money to my Paypal account from the surveys I had done in the few days prior, so I am not complaining too much.
Well, we do have a little break now before we carry on filming next month.
We look forward to sharing our tips with you and we look forward to hearing some of your tips too. Don’t forget to leave us some comments in the box below.