The future is an abstract thought. We know it’s there – well, we hope it is – and we have no idea what’s going to happen when we do eventually get there. Do you?
We each envision how we want the future to look, and we use today to shape tomorrow. The problem? Most of us invent futures that match who we’ve always been and what we’ve always done. We don’t plan something new and we don’t change our behaviour to get there.
The good news is that there is plenty that we could be doing to better the future that we have ahead of us.
- We can make choices in our education, FRM vs CFA?
- We can make choices in our careers, doctor or lawyer?
- We can even make choices in the people with whom we interact day by day. Inventing your future may seem like a process only meant for those who are daydreaming, but it’s in all of our hands.
- Start with planning a future that you know will work for you. You may not be able to create millions of dollars in wealth, but you do know where you can start. Be realistic in your dreaming and your dreams can turn to your new reality.
- Where have you failed so far? Look at your life and look at the numbers. Where do things go wrong for you? Don’t wait around for someone to tell you to avoid the painful stuff; go right for it and make it your new normal. There is always room to gain in your profession and your future, so find where you can do it and make it your future.
- Put your money where your mouth is. If you know that a change of career is going to make a difference to the future that you want, do it. If you know that a better education is going to support that decision, what are you waiting for? Pour your resources into the right places and you won’t be able to stop your future from progressing as planned.
- Believe you have the power to do better. You may have mapped out a career as a retail manager, but what if – with a little education – you could be a manager in an entirely new industry? You have the power to do better in your life, you just have to believe that you can. Every single thing around you was invented by people just like you. People who had a dream, an idea about what they want from their lives. You know that with the power of your own mind, you can make the future bend to you. Nope, we don’t mean telekinetically. With your determination and grit, you can do better in your industry – it’s what happens when you dream!
You are in charge of the future that you want, and you need to look at how you can do more for yourself. Better your future by writing down what you want and going for it – and then never look back again.
Do let us know what you think about the possibility of bettering your own future now.