What do you do when you challenge Aldi that you can make a vegan/veggie barbecue for six for £20 or under? You get creative and make your own delicious (not just veggie, but vegan) burger.
So we have been doing BBQ every weekend for the last couple weeks and this week was no less delicious even though it was wholly vegetarian.
I must say that the highlight of the Barbecue for me were the burgers.
Here’s the recipe:
400g can chickpeas
340g sweetcorn1tsp fresh or dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 large red onion (caramelized)
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic
oil for frying
Wholemeal burger buns (or make your own burger buns)
- Peel, slice and caramelize the onion with a little oil in a frying pan. Set aside.
- Drain the chickpeas and sweet corn. Pat dry
- Add the following to the food processor: chickpeas, sweet corn, thyme, cayenne pepper, onion, flour, salt, and garlic.
- Pulse until mixed but still chunky, not smooth
- Divide the mixture into four and shape into burgers on a floured surface.
- Place in fridge for 40 minutes to overnight to firm up.
- Fry burgers for 10 minutes until golden
- Prepare tomatoes, lettuce and onion rings.
- Layer up burger
What I love about this burger is that you can flavour it with your choice of herbs and spices.
One tip I’d like to share is that the sweetcorn and chickpeas have to be properly drained to eliminate as much liquid as possible.
Also, it needs to have the flavors brought out with enough salt.
Do tell us what you think when you try it.