This is the second in a series of posts on how sauce making can be an important part of meal planning. In this episode, I will share with you how to make a basic white sauce and also additional ingredients you could add to spruce up the sauce, and quick meals you could make with the sauce. If you missed the making of the epic tomato sauce, you can read it here.
Versatile White Sauce
570 ml milk
25g plain flour
Salt and pepper to taste
You will need a balloon whisk and a saucepan.
Pour the milk into the saucepan. Add the butter and flour. Put the flame on low to medium heat and continue to stir constantly with the balloon whisk. The sauce will begin to thicken. The stirring will ensure that the sauce does not become lumpy, nor with it burn at the bottom. The butter will add a creamy texture and flavour. When it has the desired consistency reduce the flame to its lowest, add the salt and pepper and allow the sauce to cook for about 5 minutes to make sure the starch is cooked.
Versatile uses for this White Sauce
Whilst the sauce is still hot, add grated cheese to it for the most creamy cheese sauce. A tip I learnt some time ago is that if you add a little mustard to the sauce, it gives it an even richer, more enhanced flavour. This will go well with pasta or potatoes. This is also a good addition to fish.
IDEAS for meal planning with this sauce
- Get some single portion tin foil containers. Put two pieces of sliced cheese in the base. Add some of the white sauce. Put filet of fish or flakes of fish. Top with mashed potato. Put aside to cool and then cover and store in fridge or freezer depending on when you plan to serve it. When ready to use, place in a hot oven without the lid for 25 – 30 minutes. Enjoy.
- To cooked pasta, add some of the creamy sauce, cooked diced chicken, peas and carrots or other vegetables of your choice. If everything is pre-cooked then this can be reheated in the microwave or conventional oven.
- Use as the perfect topping for lasagna. Add grated cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of parmesan for extra special delight. For an even more scrumptious lasagna, add some of the sauce between each layer.
- This sauce also makes a creamy addition to toddler foods like creamed potatoes, pumpkin, carrots or squash.
- For the perfect chicken pie, use this creamy white sauce to mix with the chicken and mushrooms if you like. Add this to the pastry. Top with pastry and bake.
Feel free to share the ideas as you learn them. Happy meal planning.