There are some grannies that I like (Jane O’, you’re one of them) because they have the knack of staying young at heart… and then some are just plain miserable!
Who wants to grow old gracefully? I’d like to be a gentle, kind, caring old woman one day. But
looking around at old women these days has given me some ideas of how I don’t want to be when
I’m old. So I’m writing this letter to myself and when I am old I will most certainly look back to see if
I’ve turned into what I’d always said I don’t want to be. Hope you can identify with my letter.
The years are rolling by, aren’t they? Remember:
- Flip flops and socks don’t go well together! They were never ever fashionable and you’re not that influential so don’t think you can now change that!
- Always speak politely and be complimentary to others. A smile and a gentle spirit will take you a long way. Speaking about smiling, remember your dentures.
- Don’t give anyone a hassle. Just be cooperative as they’re only trying to help. But if they give you a document with a lot of information and want you to sign right away, ask for a week to go through it first!
- Have nice words to say to any visitors you have, they will enjoy each visit and want to come back.
- Showers or baths will make you look and feel fresh and squeaky clean. Keep up with it for as long as you can.
- If you do have to wear a wig, make sure it suits you! Don’t give anyone any reason to laugh at you.
- Take walks if you can, especially in the sunshine even if it’s slowly, you will feel better, and it’s good for you. If it’s even just around your bed.
- Keep up with your friends and what they’re doing. Getting a friendly email or letter now and again is something to look forward to.
- Keep your mind active. You will still find pleasure from word searches, puzzles, and a good hearty debate.
Be cooperative with those in charge of your care. They really want what’s best for you. Beoptimistic and hope that they see eye to eye with you.This next bit is really crucial if you want to stay young and be a groovy granny.Remember to revisit your will and make it how you really want it to be. You can always adjust it.If they try to tell you about the new technology and devices that have overtaken Facebook,Instagram etc, try to keep up! After all, you do want to remain young for as long as possible, don’tyou?Don’t worry about the past. You did the best you could under the circumstances. Look forward toeach day with a smile.It’s not too late to try new foods, who knows, you will like some of them.
Look out for little children. Treat them well if you want that sparkle to remain in your eyes much
Special occasions call for another celebration and another reason to dress up! After all, you made
it! To live to see more than fifty Christmases is a lovely thing.
Don’t let them fight over who should have you for Christmas! Take control, make a rota!
And finally, keep this letter with you at all times and keep checking to make sure you’re the most
gracious, graceful and glamorous granny ever.
Love and kisses Always,