When I lived and worked in the Turks and Caicos Islands over 20 years ago, a friend and I worked at coming up with a recipe for cinnamon rolls. Since then, I’ve used it a few times over. It’s the truth to say that it has never ever failed to produce some really yummy results.
Not only is the end result tasty, but they look amazing and the added bonus is that the whole house smells amazing too. It is one of those recipes that make you feel proud and accomplished as a baker.
Ingredients needed for the cinnamon roll recipe
An easy method for the cinnamon roll recipe
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan. Do not allow it to boil. Remove it from the heat
- To the warm milk in the pan, add 1/4 cup sugar, salt, and 1/4 cup margarine.
- Stir the mixture to melt the butter.
- In a large bowl, pour the warm water and the yeast. Stir it a little to dissolve the yeast
- Now stir the saucepan mixture into the bowl mixture
- Add the egg and 2 cups of the flour. Stir to form a sticky dough and then add the other cup of flour
- Mix until the dough is smooth
- Flour your surface and turn the dough out onto it
- knead until the dough is smooth
- Lightly grease your bowl and place the dough in it. Then turn the dough to ensure it has grease on all sides
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and place it in a warm place until it doubles in size.
- Lightly flour the surface and roll out the dough to form a rectangle
- Spread the butter over and then sprinkle the sugar. Sprinkle the cinnamon on top and then roll up from the wider end. Pinch the edge to seal it.
- Cut into about 12 to 16 pieces and place each piece with the cut side down in a pan
- Leave to rise in a warm place until they have doubled in size again
- When they have doubled in size, preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius (475 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush with a sugar and water mixture or syrup, or chocolate spread or dust with icing sugar
These can be served warm. They freeze really well too. So once they are cooled, place them in an airtight bag and freeze them. Want to see the step by step process and what it should look like at each stage? See me making them in the video below.
You will want to thank me for this cinnamon roll recipe as it will give you years of success baking them. Don’t forget to share! And let us know down in the comment section what you think about it.
Other lovely recipes