Did you have plans to go abroad on holiday this year or wish that you could? I really wanted to go spend the summer months with Mom in Florida this year. Sadly though, both our regions are being ravaged with the Coronavirus. So we will have to stay put and make the best of what we have and here I will share how to make the best of your UK holiday this summer.
Why a UK holiday
Although travel restrictions have eased and several countries are open to the idea of us Brits visiting their country, some may turn up their noses at this idea and I’m afraid, I am one of them. It is better to be safe than sorry. I think it would be absolutely awful to find yourself away from home and suffering the symptoms of the Coronavirus.
Even worse, is the possibility that you may have such a bad reaction to the virus that you may require hospitalization in a country other than your home country. It really requires some careful thinking.
So a UK holiday may be your best bet and there are different types that you could have.
Types of holidays to have
Really? The possibilities are endless.
- Camping in the back garden. That’s a proper staycation! I saw these posh pods that you could install and use in your back garden. The cost might cover your tickets, depending on the destination you had in mind.
- House swap with a friend who lives in another area. This way, you bring whatever you need like food, etc, and you get to use your friend’s home for the designated period of time. I quite like this idea. Be sure to leave their home as you would expect to come back and find yours.
- London is a lovely place to visit and this post shares how you can enjoy a vacation there.
Places you can visit
There are many places that people keep suggesting over and over and I wish I could visit them all. Here I share the ones that have been recommended to us.
The Isle of Wight
According to my friend Elaine ” I love Weston-super-Mare, it’s not that far away and it’s so beautiful “.
Whether you are after sunshine or the sea, there are many lovely spots to choose from.
Doing your bit for the environment while you make the best of your UK holiday
I’m sure the world is rejoicing due to the fact that for the past few months, there has been less travel locally and internationally. Fewer fumes, less CO2, just less toxins in the environment. So lets spare a thought for the environment and do what we can to cause it as little damage as possible.
So here are a few tips:
- Be sure to pick up after yourself.
- Walk or cycle to destinations where it is possible to rather than drive.
- Don’t keep taps running when not in use.
- Look out for the wildlife
- Avoid single-use containers including straws
My friend Michele shared these tips with me and her friends on Facebook and I just thought these were so relevant.
Eat out to help out
Have you heard the latest government announcement to help the economy? 50 % off your tab up to ten pounds per person when you eat out on a Monday to Wednesday! This will come in effect in August 2020!
So some restaurant visits can easily be in your future for the summer! That’s some good family time together outside the home.
Up to 2million people are employed in the hospitality industry in the UK and they deserve to be able to cater to their families financially so let us do our bit to support them whilst staying safe too.
I hope this little post has given you some food for thought about how to spend the long hazy crazy days of summer this year.
If you still haven’t made up your mind yet, read this post from the queen of customer service “Should I stay or should I go“.
Do let us know what you think by dropping us a few comments in the box down below. We are particularly interested in where you would suggest we go to spend some of our time so we can stop dreaming about holidays to Jamaica or holidaying in Florida for the time being.
We hope you like this post. If you do, we’d love if you could pin it to share with your followers and others on Pinterest.
Products you may need for your local holiday