If you are here to see how you can make your own Nandos style meal, you are in the right place.
Nandos is our favourite takeaway. So when we were asked on the TV show to show a couple how they can recreate a Nandos style meal at home and to try to do it as cheaply as possible, we readily accepted the challenge. Not being shy in the kitchen at all, we had to consider that not everyone has all the necessary cooking skills nor equipment.
Bearing all that in mind, we had two choices really to show you how you can recreate a Nandos style burger meal with Peri salt flavoured chips, cole slaw, corn on the cob and one with a chicken wrap.
Depending on your skill level, and whether you have the equipment and don’t mind spending a lot of time in the kitchen, you could:
A. Make the whole meal from scratch
B. Purchase the Nandos range of salt, sauces, and marinades to use in the meal
C. Use a combination of A and B
For the show, we used option C and the meals turned out amazingly well (Duh!) It was the favourite and definitely won on flavour (Go, Joleisa!) Here is how we made it and you can too!
Below are the meals that we actually made on the show. You can recreate it too!
For the burger meal we suggest:
- Get the ciabatta rolls, not just any bread rolls. The cheapest we found was at Aldi. Some other supermarkets sell them at the bakery counter and you can ask for just how many you want for the meal.
- We used some display baskets for the chips just to enhance the presentation of the meals
- Tomatoes and iceberg lettuce
- Frozen chips
- Nandos Peri Peri salt (sold in most major supermarkets too)
- Supermarket ready-made coleslaw (choose your family favorite)
- Nandos Perinase (used to spread on the ciabatta roll) or you can make your own with mayonnaise and the medium sauce.
- Chicken breast or thigh pieces
- This amazing tray to cook the chips really fast and without any oil (similar ones are available in Poundland too.
- Nandos hot peri peri marinade
To make this meal:
- Cut each chicken breast into two pieces horizontally (to make it cook quicker and also easier to bite into the burger).
- Marinate the chicken with the Nandos marinade and place in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Place oven chips on the mesh tray and then on a baking tray.
- Place chicken breast pieces onto foil paper and then onto the baking tray. Cover over foil onto itself to keep the chicken and juices in.
- Place both trays in the oven for 15 minutes
- Prepare vegetables by washing, drying, and slicing
- After 15 minutes in the oven, both chicken and fries will need to be turned
- Cut ciabatta rolls into 2 horizontally and spread Perinase onto both cut side
- Dish up cole slaw
- Check on chicken and chips and remove if done.
- Assemble burger with chicken, vegetables, and choice of hot or medium sauce. Serve up chips and sprinkle Nandos Peri Peri salt
For the Nandos style chicken wrap meal we suggest:
- Supermarket tortilla wrap
Oh, we used a kitchen torch to give the corn that look as if it was cooked over the direct flames. If you don’t have one, the meal won’t be any worse off.
- Chicken Breast (done as above for the burger)
- Corn on the cob
- Butter (individually wrapped as featured above)
- Oven chips and tray
- For the corn on the cob, wrap in damp kitchen paper then place in the microwave for 5 minutes. Unwrap just in time for serving.
- Slice the cooked chicken breast. Place in center of wrap. Add sauce according to desired spice level. Add sliced lettuce. Wrap, ensuring chicken pieces are properly encased.
- Cut into two halves
Serve up along with the corn on the cob and chips. Ensure additional peri salt and sauces are available to suit varying tastes.
With the sauces now readily available, there is no reason to spend exorbitant amounts of money feeding the coffers of others when you can do it yourself and save a whole lot of money. Another thing, you will have all the peri salt and sauces left so that you can recreate this amazing Portuguese take away whenever your heart and taste buds desire.
Kearan (the young man on the show) recreated the meals at home using our recipe and sent us these two photos
Thank goodness that Nandos the brand is clever enough to make the sauces, salt, and marinade available in the supermarket so that if you want to recreate it yourself, you can.
Some people actually have a go at making the marinade from scratch. We did give it a go too. Of course, you do need at least a small blender, and the right amount of each ingredient to get the taste as near as possible.
Below is what we made recently at home by trying to make the marinade from scratch. To be honest, it was good but involved a lot more work. So you decide which method you’d prefer to use to get your ‘cheeky Nandos’.
Do check out some of our other fakeaway style meals that you can make yourself at home.
Let us know too, about your favourite takeaways or fakeaway style meals in the comment box below.
Other Recipes from Joleisa