Today I have a smug look on my face. You know, even the simplest little things are worth celebrating. For me, I am smiling because we have saved quite a bit of money. How? By not going food shopping three weeks in a row! Of course, we have had to be quite creative and some of the meals we created were simply amazing if I must say so myself. I don’t know about you, but I always find that some of our tastiest meals are created when the kitchen cupboards and fridge/freezer are almost bare.
Here’s how we got on this week
Firstly, I must say that we will go shopping on Sunday or Monday as the cupboards are looking too bare now. Some of the meals we prepared with what we had left include:
- Fish soup
- Turned cornmeal (polenta)
- Steamed courgette with salted cod
- Pasta with cheese sauce
- Spicy chickpea curry and homemade chapatis
- Seasoned rice
We have looked into doing this more often (shopping less often for food). There are a number of factors which helped us to be able to manage this for so long. These include:
- Always having reusable plastic containers in which to store leftovers
- Always add a few extra tins of foodstuff each time we go grocery shopping
- Having a stand-alone freezer in which to store portions of leftover food, surplus fruits, and veg etc.
- Buying yellow stickered items that can be used up in meals
- Doing a freezer clearout every now and then as it shows us sometimes foodstuff we had forgotten about.
- Being willing to experiment with ingredients and being creative in the kitchen
What are we proudest about?
- Cutting down on food waste
- Saving money which can be used to pay off debt or go on holiday
- Our cooking skills (Thanks to Home Economics lessons and a poor mom when we were growing up)
- Being able to share some of what we have planted and reaped with our friends
- Sharing this meal planning linky each week with Katy Kicker and others and learning so much
We hope you have been inspired by something in this post and do better with your finances, get creative in the kitchen and enjoy living the frugal lifestyle.
Have a great week.