This has crept upon us, hasn’t it? I opened my email today and got at least 20 that had Black Friday in the title. Honestly, was this even a thing 5 years ago? Especially in the Uk, I don’t remember this being such a popular thing.
In fact, one of the emails was about looking into the whole idea of Black Friday and basically said, it’s only us humans who need to fight everyone down for ‘stuff’ exactly one day after giving thanks for all the things we already have.
The more I think about it, the more I think that even though we live in the UK, the sentiment is for us too, because we mostly already have what we need, but we spend more to keep up with others (trendy) or we want to convince ourselves that we will win these price wars.
A word to the wise is sufficient
I am going to put my frugal hat on here and say that we should not just go buying products just because they are on sale. If you don’t need it for yourself or someone else, you are wasting, not saving money.
With the way things are now, it seems so awfully simple to just pass your card details over in exchange for bags or parcels of stuff, Just because others are buying stuff, doesn’t mean it’s right for you. A word to the wise is sufficient.
Well all that being said, and out of the way, I’m sharing ten things I actually checked out and would recommend in the Black Friday sales, especially if you live in the UK.
- 50% off the blogging course Turn Your Dreams Into Money The code to use to get the course for half price is BF2018 . Note that this is only available on Black Friday 2018. So if you have been considering starting a blog for some time, now is the time to go for it with a whopping 50% off. That’s a steal.
- Making Sense of Affiliate marketing also from Friday, November 23, 2018, to Monday, November 26, 2018 (it will end at 11:59 p.m. PT), use the coupon code BLACKFRIDAY2018CC so that they can receive $28 off the course. This will make the course $169.00 after the discount. If you ever wanted to know how a lot of bloggers make money on their blogs this is the course we have done which shows us just how to do it.
- Blog tune-up service from the folk of iMark Interactive. This 10% off deal is something I will personally be using to get my blog on the best foot going forward. Just click on the word blog and use code BLACKFRIDAY10 during checkout.
- Mainland Menswear sells really good quality clothing that lasts a lifetime. Forget flimsy and go with the good quality with the deals that go from Black Friday through to Cyber Monday. I’ve already picked out my son’s socks and scarf gift set as well as a nice wallet which is all he needs for Christmas.
- If you have a very little one to buy for, I would recommend this Lego train set that is perfect at under a tenner during the Black Friday sales.
5. If you are after a rugged little laptop that you can take almost anywhere with you, I recommend the Convertible Touch HD Laptop (in red)
6. If you are like me and love having fun as a family, here are my recommendations of our personal frugal family fun favourites as a family (photos included) Our all-time favourite is Uno which you can now find on Amazon for just over six quid.
7. Sinful Lies is part of a series of books I am now reading on Kindle. For under £3.00, it is well worth it. It has truly reminded me of my love for easy reading for train or coach journeys and also for when I want to relax a bit. Check it out and I would love to hear what you think.
8. Everyone can benefit from having a slow cooker at home. This Morphy Richards slow cooker is a welcome addition to the kitchen if you want to have the option of using up your time for other things while your dinner is on the go. It is one of our favourite gifts that we use over and over again especially this year. We use it mostly for soups and stews but there are other uses I hear, even for making cakes and other dessert ideas.
9. Sign up to TopCashback. This year I made over £200 from TopCashBack. If you do online shopping at all, then it’s for you. All you need to do is sign up, and then when you want to shop online for anything, go through Topcashback to look for that merchant, and then shop as normal. Different merchants offer different cashback percentages, and no matter how small it seems, it all adds up to a nice sum when you are ready. There are hundreds of deals now, through Thanksgiving and Black Friday, and even through to Christmas. It only takes a few minutes to create an account and you are going to beat yourself that you didn’t do it sooner.
10. My last share is actually a tip that I firmly believe in. I’ll put it in bold red. MAKE SURE THAT WHAT THEY SAY IS A DEAL IS REALLY A DEAL. So often people find things cheaper than what they paid for it in the sales! Check with Idealo.co.uk as they have done their research and concluded that almost 45% of people who buy something over the discount weekend find the product cheaper at a later date. Often, discounts aren’t actually as generous as you think. Before you buy something, check its lifetime price using pricerunner or Camel, Camel, Camel (for Amazon only).
I know that businesses rely on us to refill their coffers but we also have to do what’s right for us while we try to stay within our budgets. There are millions of deals out there so shop wisely if you need to.
I would love to hear how you get on with Black Friday this year. Do you have a plan? Have you made a list? Have you done any shopping around to make sure they really are good deals? Let us know in the comment box below.